Codex Consulting is a newly incorporated, minority-owned, woman-owned, small business based in Golden, CO that builds on the experience and capabilities of its owner, Dr. Sylvia Gaylord. Codex Consulting provides first-class qualitative and quantitative research for government agencies and private organizations seeking to better understand policy outcomes, market conditions, and political and regulatory contexts.
Sylvia has Ph.D. in Political Science from Northwestern University and a B.A.-M.A. in International Relations from The Johns Hopkins University. For eight years she was a faculty member at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden, CO where she taught Government & Politics, Latin American Development, and Quantitative Methods for the Social Sciences. Prior to her career in academia, Sylvia worked in the energy field pursuing power development projects in Latin America. Her experience in the energy sector includes market research and project due diligence, expertise in regulatory and investment regimes, government and utility relations, and relations with local project teams.
- Invited talk “Argentina: Risks and Opportunities in Non-Conventional Hydrocarbons,” for the Vaca Muerta Research Consortium, Colorado School of Mines, 11/25/2014.
- Invited talk: “Securing the social license to operate: new standards and best practices.” Mexico Power Finance & Investment Summit, June 28-30, 2016. New York, NY.
- Expert commentary for RadioTv.mx on “The impeachment process in Brazil” (3/22/2016) and “The presidential elections in Argentina” (11/24/2015).
Publications – Energy
- Latin America energy news blog, energyfuturelatam.net
- “Can Mexico’s Electricity Reform Deliver on Its Promise?” and “Mexico’s Electricity Sector Reform in Perspective,” POWER Magazine and POWERmag.com, 1/15.
- “New hydrocarbons law in Argentina,” Energy Global, energyglobal.com, 11/7/14.
- Will Argentina’s Hydrocarbons Bill Revive the Sector? Featured Q&A, Inter-American Dialogue, 10/14.
- “Energy Supply Issues in the Developing World” In H. Dyer and J. Trombetta, eds. International Handbook of Energy Security, E. Elgar Publishing (2013). With Kathleen Hancock.
Papers – Prison Work Cooperatives
- “Policy Brief: Cooperatives in Prisons.” Joint initiative with Humanitas360. Draft. 3/18.
- “Inmate-run Business Enterprises in Latin America: A Research and Implementation Roadmap.” Proposal to Humanitas360. 5/20
- “Report on Priosn Work Cooperatives in Latin America.” humanitas360.org. Last edited 7/5/18.